Having a baby changes your body in so many ways and many women worry about how to get their body back, how to get fit again after having a baby and how to feel like themselves again after having a baby…
Your body probably looks a little different to what it did 9 months ago but the key to getting your pre-baby body back is making smart health choices, hard work and most of all patience.
Here are some tips to help you get your body and self back post baby:
- Allow yourself time to rest and find yourself again. Having a baby is life changing so find confidence in your new body, new life and new baby. Don’t feel the need to rush back into exercise to get your ‘pre-baby body back’, your body has just done an incredible thing so allow yourself and body time to rest.
- Get back into a regular fitness routine. It’s so important to move your body after having a baby, even just starting with short walks and light stretching and once you get the green light from your doctor at your 6 week check up then you can slowly build up to more regular and intense exercise. Finding the time and motivation is hard but find a consistent routine that works for you and your body will thank you for it.
- Breastfeeding is so great for your baby and for your body. Breastfeeding burns an extra 600-800 calories a day and is a great way to help with getting back to your pre-baby weight. Be sure to nourish your body with healthy, nutritious foods to ensure you are nourishing your baby.
- Sign up for some kind of fitness event such as True Grit obstacle course races in Australia. With nights and days merged into one, it can be really hard to find the time and motivation to get fit again after having a baby but signing up for an obstacle course event gives you purpose and motivation to get your fitness back. Having an event as the end goal will help with your motivation as it gives you something to work towards. Obstacle course events are a great way to get your body and self back as not only do they push you physically and mentally, they make you feel like you can accomplish anything. These events give you something to strive and train for and not only will it challenge you but they are also so much fun and we believe getting fit should be fun. You can push yourself as much or as little as you like and at the end of the day you will still have the feeling of accomplishment.
Why not get a group of mums/mates/friends/family and sign up to get fit with your friends?
- Eat a well balanced diet. Postpartum or not it’s so important to eat a healthy well balanced diet. Nourishing your body will help you look and feel good. Eating healthy and exercising go hand in hand so if you are exercising and/or training towards your obstacle course event then it’s crucial to eat a nutritious well balanced diet to get the best results.
It’s important to remember that change doesn’t happen overnight but these tips will definitely help you get fit again after having a baby and assist in getting your pre-baby body back.
ABOUT TRUE GRIT
True Grit is for people of all ages and fitness levels. We are parents, we are couples, we are training groups, we are elite athletes and many of us are just starting our fitness journey; we are all here for a laugh and leave no one behind. We show up, no matter what, to work together and feel alive.
Since 2013, True Grit has been giving purpose to athletes of all ages and ability through our military inspired obstacle courses. To date, True Grit has run over 60+ events in a variety of formats all around Australia.