When it comes to the ultimate challenge for your body, it is indisputable that running a marathon is one of the best ways to motivate yourself to get fit. However, according to an article in the New York Times, racing numbers for marathons have been on the decline since it’s peak in 2013. At the same time as marathon’s decline, obstacle course racing has soared in popularity in Australia over the past 10 years.
Why is this? While running and training for a marathon will certainly get you physically fit, obstacle course racing increases overall stamina, muscle coordination and upper-body strength. Your overall physical fitness will be taken to new levels and your level of switch muscles vs endurance will – anabolic – obstacles requiring feats of agility, dexterity and strength.
Sadly, since COVID-19 hit all event industries so hard in 2020, we have seen many of the OG obstacle course races in Australia shut down. True Grit is proud to have stood the test of time across this time period and to be one of the very first obstacle racing companies to bring our challenges back to the market.
Because obstacle course racing is so varied by nature, there really is no BEST obstacle course race in Australia….just the best for you. Do you want to see if you are fit to be an obstacle course racer? If so, you need to know what type of racer you are as that will help you decide which type of course is best for you.
To help with that we’ve created a super simple guide to obstacle course racing below. Simply answer the questions below.
- Do you like to have fun?
- Are you looking for something different?
- Do you love a challenge?
- Do you want to make amazing memories?
- Do you want to help support important charities?
- Do you have something to prove to yourself or your friends?
- Are you competitive?
Did you answer yes to 4 or more of these questions? Guess what?! You could be an obstacle course racer!
About True Grit
True Grit is for people of all ages and fitness levels. We are parents, we are couples, we are training groups, we are elite athletes and many of us are just starting our fitness journey; we are all here for a laugh and leave no one behind. We show up, no matter what, to work together and feel alive.
Since 2013, True Grit has been giving purpose to athletes of all ages and ability through our military inspired obstacle courses. To date, True Grit has run over 60+ events in a variety of formats all around Australia.
Over 99% of True Grit racers said they would do another race*.
When you do a True Grit challenge, you get a sense of achievement above all else. Not only are you tested by the varying terrain-based obstacles, but also you must use team work and physical and mental agility to overcome what we put in front of you. Since our inception, True Grit has been raising funds for Legacy and we are proud to announce we have recently incorporated a new charity partner, Black Dog Institute into our fundraising portfolio.
Obstacle Course Races in Australia
While we think we are one of the very best obstacle course races in Australia, we are definitely not the only option out there. Below we have provided you a quick summary of some other obstacle course race options you could try out.
Other solid obstacle course racing options are*:
- Spartan AU – Spartan is an American based franchise that has run global obstacle course races. While all are welcome to take part, these are the more tough, cut throat options for serious competitors. It has created a formula that works, rolling out the same obstacle course across the globe.
- Tough Mudder AU – Our muddy friend Tough Mudder has for a long time been one of the leaders in the obstacle course racing community to offer lots of mud and lots of fun for mates. Recently acquired by Spartan, these races are run in a franchise based method
- Raw Challenge – This permanent NSW based obstacle course is set up for the local and state based community to engage with year round. Whilst it runs one bespoke event a year, it is open to groups and teams all year round to take part.
- Mad Cow Mud Run – This express, mini mud based obstacle course race is run purely to raise funds for a fantastic charity, Zaidee’s Rainbow Foundation. If you are looking for a super small introduction to obstacle course racing and you live in QLD or are happy to travel, this would be a great option to support a good cause.
- Obstacle Hell – This crew is relatively new on the obstacle course scene in Australia, and looks to be what it says it is – obstacle hell! For those in QLD looking for a short option with fewer obstacles than our traditional True Grit 10km challenge, this might be the one for you.
In and amongst all the mud and mayhem, no matter which obstacle course you choose, the number one reason you should do one is the mates. While you overcome all the physical and mental obstacles of an obstacle course race, you will meet new mates and learn new things about yourself you couldn’t imagine in your wildest dreams. Obstacle course racing in Australia is the stuff dreams are made of with our sweeping landscapes, wild terrain and even wilder adventurous spirit.
What are you waiting for? Sign up for your first obstacle course race today!